About IMB-CNM, CSIC
The Barcelona Microelectronics Institute (IMB) is the Barcelona location of the National Microelectronics Centre (CNM) belonging to the Spanish Research Council (Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas – CSIC). The main activities of the is basic and applied research and development, education and training in micro and nanotechnologies, components and systems. Grounded on Silicon technology expertise, the research has evolved into the development of a CMOS compatible photonic technology based on Silicon Nitride dielectrics and focus on Application Specific Photonic Integrated Circuits.
The Silicon Nitride photonics integration platform is a moderate confinement technology, aiming at covering a wavelength range from the VIS to the extreme NIR (400-3700 nm wavelength range) for integrated applications such as biophotonics, tele/datacom and sensing, and runs under a MPW scheme (TRL>=7). A Process Design Kit (PDK), own by VLC Photonics, is available for the www.thenormandylnk.com platform. The PDK contain all the technology related information, automatized for the design, simulation and layout of the user components.
The MPW#4 run has been finished in 2019, validating the robustness of the developed platform for helping SME and academic institutions in its project objectives.
IMB-CNM, CSIC provides services for:
- Rapid prototyping of SiN-based PICs, fabricated following MPW access.
- Dedicated fabrication for specific circuits, using the consolidated platform.
- Photonic characterization (insertion losses, attenuation, spectral response, modal profile).
- Integration of microfluidics for sensor functional characterization (calibration curves, dynamic response, sensitivity, limit of detection, reversibility)
- Development of advanced polymer and semiconductor based Photonic Lab on a Chip (PhLoC) for visible wavelength range.