Silicon photonic integrated circuits have allowed for incredible advances in a number of fields, including LiDAR, signal processing, sensors, and data transmission, in part due to the manufacturability of CMOS compatible processes. However, silicon is a poor light emitter, and the integration of compound semiconductor lasers with silicon photonics remains a common challenge.
The SiEPICfab-ePIXfab Workshop on Laser Integration in Silicon Photonics brings together experts in various fields to discuss the most promising approaches of laser integration and the applications that will be enabled by this capability. Participation in experimental MPWs using two of these approaches (transfer printing and photonic wire bonding) will be offered as an option in this workshop
- Dates: November 15 to November 18, 2021: 5 PM (CET) / 8 AM (PST) and will end at 7 PM (CET) / 10 AM (PST)
- Format: Virtual on Zoom
The workshop participants will get a chance to join an experimental MPW where they can choose one of two laser integration modalities for the fabrication of a laser-integrated silicon photonics chip. Two laser integration options in experimental MPW include:
- SOA integration with silicon photonics chips by micro-transfer printing
- Laser integration with silicon photonics chips by photonic wire bonding
Note: The experimental MPW is for scientific evaluation and it will provide a low TRL implementation of laser integration with silicon photonics chips.
- Strategic and technical decision-makers from the industry as well as their R&D staff
- Academic researchers and students with an ambition to move forward the state-of-the-art in silicon photonics or in applications enabled by silicon photonics